Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Magnolia



Marker ID: SCHM 35-25
Location: 508 East Main Street, Bennettsville
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 37.17    W 079° 40.632
  34.6195    -79.6772
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Constructed in 1853, this house was the home of William D. Johnson, a Bennettsville attorney and one of three Marlboro County signers of South Carolina´s Ordinance of Secession. He served in the state Senate 1862-1865 and was elected chancellor of the Equity Court in 1865. According to tradition, Magnolia was occupied by Union troops on March 6, 1865. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Erected by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission - 1978