Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Marlborough Court House



Marker ID: SCHM 35-26
Location: on US 401 and 15 at intersection of SC 912
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 34.969    W 079° 45.676
  34.58281666    -79.76126666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Marlborough Court House Located about one mile N. of here was the original county seat of Marlborough County, established in 1785. Tristram Thomas conveyed two acres of land to the county for the erection of public buildings in 1787, and the court house and jail were built there shortly afterward. The county seat was removed to a more central location in 1819. No trace of the original town remains.

Erected by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission - 1978


Notes:

Two sided - Old River Road