Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Brownsville Church



Marker ID: SCHM 35-29
Location: about 2.1 miles NW of SC 38 from Bristow on Road 18 at junction of Road 44
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 25.594    W 079° 39.075
  34.42656666    -79.65125
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1788, this Baptist congregation, while still a branch of Cashaway Church (1756), purchased this land from the Rev. John Brown. The branch became an independently constituted church in 1789 named Muddy Creek and by 1829 was known as Brownsville. Welsh Neck Baptist Association was organized here in 1832. The church moved 2 miles NE in 1860.

Erected by The Congregation - 1989