Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Brownsville Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 35-30
Location: on SC 38, 5 miles SE of Blenheim, at church
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 26.53    W 079° 37.649
  34.44216666    -79.62748333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
In 1788, this Baptist congregation, a branch of Cashaway Church (1756) founded by Welsh Neck Church (1738), purchased land two miles SW of here from the Rev. John Brown. The congregation was independently constituted in 1789 and named Muddy Creek. The church, which was known as Brownsville by 1829, moved here in 1860.

(Reverse)
Completed in 1979 to resemble the 1860 church, which burned in 1977, this building contains the original pine pews & pulpit furniture from the 1860 building. Both the Welsh Neck & Pee Dee Baptist Associations were organized in Brownsville Church in 1832 and 1876, respectively. Prior to 1832,

Brownsville belonged to the Charleston Association. Erected by The Congregation - 1989