Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Shiness



Marker ID: SCHM 35-31
Location: 100 Fayetteville Avenue, Bennettsville
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 36.86    W 079° 40.923
  34.61433333    -79.68205
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
According to a plaque placed on its western wall at time of construction, Shiness was built in 1903 by Alexander James Matheson and named for his paternal grandmother´s home in Sutherlandshire, Scotland. Matheson was born in Marlboro County in 1848, became a successful businessman and large landowner, married Sarah Ellen Jarnigan in 1870 and became the father of nine

(Reverse)
children. He died in 1918 and is buried in McCall Cemetery in Bennettsville. Shiness was sold in 1939 to J. L. Powers, who converted it into apartments. A key structure in Bennettsville´s 1978 National Register District, Shiness was purchased by William Light Kinney, Jr., in 1984 for adaptive use as business offices and retail shops.

Erected by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission - 1991