Historic Markers Across South Carolina



D.D. McColl House 1826 / D.D. McColl House 1884



Marker ID: SCHM 35-32
Location: Bennettsville Visitors Center and Chamber of Commerce, 304 West Main St., Bennettsville, SC
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 36.928    W 079° 41.207
  34.61546666    -79.68678333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

D.D. McCOLL HOUSE 1826

This house, built in 1826 on Darlington St. (now Main St.), was first owned by H.H. Covington. It was sold in 1871 to Duncan Donald McColl (1842 1911), prominent Marlboro County lawyer and businessman; the McColls lived in this house until 1884. Later moved to S. Liberty St., then McColl St., and finally to its present location by Hugh L. McColl, Jr., the house was donated to the county by McColl in 1991.

D.D. McCOLL HOUSE 1884


This Queen Anne house, built in 1884 for D.D. McColl, features local brick made from yellow clay and stained to simulate red brick. McColl organized the S.C. & Pacific Railway in 1884, served as its first president, and brought the railroad to Bennettsville and nearby areas. He also helped organize the Bank of Marlboro in 1886 and the Bennettsville Cotton Mill in 1897, and the town of McColl was named after him.

Erected by Pee Dee Committee of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina, 1998 h