Historic Markers Across South Carolina



J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House



Marker ID: SCHM 35-34
Location: 123 S. Marlboro St., Bennettsville, SC
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 36.949    W 079° 40.973
  34.61581666    -79.68288333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

J.F. KINNEY HOUSE


This house was built as a one-story residence in 1902 for Dr. John Frank Kinney (1870-1928) and his wife Florence McLeod Kinney (1874-1936). They added a second story and wraparound porch in 1907 and raised their five children here. Kinney was educated at Wofford College and the Medical College of S.C. He was county physician for 28 years, served on the Bennettsville Board of Health, and was also president of the Pee Dee Medical Association.

P.M. KINNEY HOUSE


In 1929 J.F. Kinney´s son, Dr. Prentiss McLeod Kinney (1899-1977), bought this house; he lived here with his wife Adelaide Smith Kinney (1899-1984). Kinney, educated at Wofford, the U. of Ga., and the Medical College of S.C., practiced medicine in Marlboro County for more than 50 years. During World War II he commanded a company and a battalion in the U.S. Army in Europe. He willed this house to the county, and it became the Marlboro County Historical Museum in 1997.

Erected by the Marlborough Historical Society, 2007