Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Gulf



Marker ID: SCHM 35-38
Location: Intersection of N Liberty St and W Market St Bennettsville, SC
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 37.022    W 079° 41.137
  34.61703333    -79.68561666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Gulf


(Side 1)
This area has been the center of the African-American business district and a popuar gathering place since the late 19th century. It has been called "the Gulf" since about 1925. Its most prominent early figure was E. J. Sawyer, Jr, (1854-1929), who was born a slave in M.C. and came here about 1869. Sawyer, postmaster 1883-85 and 1892-93, was also principal of the Colored Graded School 18781-1893, and editor of the Pee Dee Educator 1890-1900.

(Side 2)
The block of Market St. going W from Liberty St. to Cheraw St. got its name from the larger Gulf Oil Company sign at Everybody's Service Station. That station. on the corner of N. Liberty and W. Market Sts., was long owned by J.D. "Bud" McLeod. Heber E. Covington (1887-1952 ran a popular cafe next door for many years, as well as a taxi service. The street was often blocked off at night on the weekends for dancers enjoying the latest recorded or live music.

Sponsored by the Marlborough Historical Society, 2012