Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Marlboro Training High School



Marker ID: SCHM 35-39
Location: 798 King St, Bennettsville, SC
County: Marlboro
Coordinates: N 34° 36.545    W 079° 41.548
  34.60908333    -79.69246666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Marlboro Training High School


This school, built in 1928 and founded by the Marlboro Educational Society, was the first high school for black students in the county. It was accredited by the state as a four-year high school by 1939. An elementary and high school 1928-1956, it included students in grades 1-11 until 1948 and added grade 12 in 1949. It was an elementary school 1956-1972, then was a child development center for the school district until 1987. The Colonial Revival school was designed by Bennettsville architect Henry Dudley Harrall (1878-1959). It was also called Marlboro County Training High School. Charles D. Wright, Sr., principal here from 1929 to his death in 1949, was its longest-serving principal, responsible for many advances in its curriculum. This building has housed a local non-profit community center since 1988.

Sponsored by the Marlborough Historical Society, 2012