Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Newberry College



Marker ID: SCHM 36-3
Location: Newberry College campus entrance, Newberry
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 17.0    W 081° 37.35
  34.28333333    -81.6225
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This fully-accredited Lutheran-controlled college was chartered by the General Assembly of South Carolina on December 20, 1856. Dr. John Bachman, noted divine and naturalist, was the first president of the board of trustees. The college was used as a Confederate hospital and a U. S. garrison. It removed to Walhalla in 1868 but returned to Newberry in 1877

Erected by Newberry County Historical Society - 1970