Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. John's Church



Marker ID: SCHM 36-7
Location: Road 170, 0.5 mile N of its intersection with US 176
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 15.133    W 081° 22.233
  34.25221666    -81.37055
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Lutheran church stands on a royal grant of 100 acres made in 1763 to John Adam Epting and Peter Dickert, elders of the Dissenting congregation on Crim´s Creek. The origins of St. John´s date as early as 1754, when the Reverend John Gasser settled near here. The church was incorporated in 1794 as "the German Lutheran Congregation of S1. John."

Erected by The Congregation - 1970