Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Rock House



Marker ID: SCHM 36-8
Location: Road 42, just N of Kinard Creek
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 13.367    W 081° 36.05
  34.22278333    -81.60083333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On December 7, 1756, the Council of the Colony recorded a petition of Jacob Hoffman for 200 acres of bounty land. He was granted this acreage on Palmetto Branch in 1758. The building on this tract, which has long been known as "The Rock House," exhibits details of construction which support the local tradition that it was built before the American Revolution.

Erected by Newberry County Historical Society - 1970