Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pomaria



Marker ID: SCHM 36-10
Location: Main Street and US 176, Pomaria
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 15.761    W 081° 24.910
  34.26268333    -81.41516666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Originally named Counts ville, this post office was established in 1823. In 1840, it was renamed Pomaria, probably for William Summer´s nearby Pomaria Nursery. By 1851 the Columbia and Newberry Railroad had completed a line through here, and six years later a free school had opened. The town of Pomaria was incorporated in 1903.

Erected by Bicentennial Commission - 1981