Historic Markers Across South Carolina



New Chapel Church



Marker ID: SCHM 36-12
Location: SE of Silverstreet, about 3.5 miles on Road 83, at the church
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 10.917    W 081° 39.91
  34.18195    -81.66516666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Once housing a school for area students, this United Methodist church was located closer to the Saluda River around 1820. The congregation moved to this site after Isaac Herbert, a member of the S. C. House of Representatives (1844-45), donated the land in 1833. The present building was constructed in 1879

Erected by Newberry County Historical Society - 1988