Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Newberry Cotton Mills



Marker ID: SCHM 36-14
Location: Corner of Main and Tarrant Streets, Newberry
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 16.338    W 081° 37.416
  34.2723    -81.6236
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Newberry Cotton Mills, incorporated in 1882, began operation in 1885. The mill was designed by prominent textile mill architects Lockwood, Greene, & Co. and was one of the first cotton mills in the United States operated by steam power. Z. F. Wright, who served as president 1905 - 1947, was responsible for several expansions. Newberry Cotton Mills, which also sponsored the Newberry Concert Band 1906 - 1968, closed in 1982.

Erected by Newberry Co. Historical Society - 1997