Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Newberry Village Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 36-22
Location: Coates St., just S of Boundary St. School, Newberry, SC
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 16.286    W 081° 36.937
  34.27143333    -81.61561666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This cemetery dates from 1809, 23 years before Newberry´s incorporation in 1832. George McCreless donated an acre here for a village cemetery, and his brother Lewis was the first person buried in it. The Town Council bought another acre from John Caldwell in 1847. After Rosemont Cemetery was established 1 mi. N in 1863, this early cemetery was neglected. The last known burial was that of Dr. P.B. Ruff, in 1890.

Erected by the Newberry County Historical and Museum Society, 2011