Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pomaria



Marker ID:  
Location: on Columbia Hwy (US 176) in Pomaria, SC
County: Newberry
Coordinates: N 34° 15.761    W 081° 24.910
  34.262683    -81.415167
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Originally named Countsville, this post office was established in 1823. In 1840, it was renamed Pomaria, probably for William Summer´s nearby Pomaria Nursery. By 1851 the Columbia and Newberry Railroad had complete a line through here, and six years later a free school had opened. The town of Pomaria was incorporated in 1903.

Erected by the Bicennetial Commission - 1980