Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Keowee Town



Marker ID: DAR 37-5
Location: on Road 128,1.6 miles N of SC 130
County: Oconee
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Prior to the American Revolution, Keowee Town stood one mile east on the west bank of the Keowee River. Across the river was British Fort Prince George. According to tradition, the Indian maiden, Cateechee, rode 96 miles from Keowee Town to Ninety Six in 1760 to warn her white lover of an intended Indian attack on the stockade fort there.

Erected by Wizard of Tamassee Chapter National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution - 1977


Notes:

[Replaced by Marker 37-11, erected by the Wizard of Tamassee Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Oconee County Arts and Historical Commission, 2006]