Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Capt. Samuel Earle



Marker ID: SCHM 37-6
Location: Tucker Farm Rd., Fair Play, SC
County: Oconee
Coordinates: N 34° 33.967    W 082° 59.5
  34.56611666    -82.99166666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Capt. Samuel Earle (1760-1833), an officer during the American Revolution, state representative, and U.S. representative, lived at nearby Beaverdam Plantation. He also furnished land for the town of Andersonville, once 12 mi. SE, at the fork of the Tugaloo and Seneca Rivers. A native of Va., Earle came to S.C. in 1773-74, when his father settled in Spartanburg District.

(reverse)
During the Revolution Earle was an officer in the 5th S.C. Regiment, then the militia, and then the captain of a ranger company. He served in the S.C. House 1784-88; as delegate to the state convention ratifying the U.S. Constitution in 1788; as delegate to the state constitutional convention of 1790; and in the U.S. House 1795-97. He is buried in the Earle family cemetery nearby.

Erected by the Pendleton District Historical, Recreational, and Tourism Commission, and the Col. Robert Anderson Chapter, National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, 2005