Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Newberry College 1868-1877



Marker ID: SCHM 37-9
Location: Corner of North College and North Broad Sts., Walhalla, SC
County: Oconee
Coordinates: N 34° 46.0    w 083° 3.905
  34.76666666    -83.06508333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Newberry College, founded in 1856, moved here from Newberry in 1868 and remained in Walhalla until 1877, returning to Newberry for the opening of the 1877-78 academic year. The Lutheran college struggled during the Civil War and its aftermath as enrollment dropped and debts mounted. In 1869 it sold its main building and other property in Newberry at auction to pay its significant debts.

(reverse)
Walhalla, with a large community of Germans who were primarily Lutherans, was chosen as a suitable home for the college, which retained the name Newberry. Under Josiah P. Smeltzer (1818-1887), president 1861-77, the college first occupied a building at Main and College Streets and then one at College and North Broad Streets. In 1877 the Synod of S.C. and Adjacent States voted to move it back to Newberry.

Erected by the Oconee County Arts and Historical Commission, 2006