Historic Markers Across South Carolina



West Union Grammar School / West Union Elementary School



Marker ID: SCHM 37-18
Location: intersection of Cherokee Foothills Scenic Hwy. (S.C. Hwy. 11) and Neville St., West Union, SC
County: Oconee
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

WEST UNION GRAMMAR SCHOOL


West Union Graded School, also known as West Union Grammar School or West Union Elementary School, was built here in 1923-24. In 1922 trustees purchased 4 acres from Marvin Phinney for a new school to replace an earlier frame building. This two-story brick school was ready for the opening of the 1924-25 school year with Jerome Douglass as its principal and 5 teachers for about 100-150 students in grades 1-6.

WEST UNION ELEMENTARY SCHOOL


Miss Clara Smith taught here for more than 40 years, from the mid-1920s until the school closed in 1969. She usually taught two or more grades a year and was also West Union´s last principal from 1949 to 1969. The town of West Union purchased the school from the Oconee County School District in 1969, leasing it back to the school district for office space 1970-1981.

Erected by the West Union School Preservation Association, 2008