Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Dixie Club Library



Marker ID: SCHM 38-4
Location: Corner Bull and Middleton streets, Orangeburg
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.552    W 080° 52.073
  33.49253333    -80.86788333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This antebellum structure once stood on Orangeburg´s Public Square. In 1865 it was occupied by Federal troops. From 1924 to 1955 it housed the first public library in Orangeburg County, organized by the Dixie Club, (1896). Given to the Orangeburg County Historical Society, it was moved in 1955 to its present site-the Pioneer Graveyard-(1749).

Erected by the Dixie Club - 1958