Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Eutawville



Marker ID: SCHM 38-8
Location: Intersection of SC 6 and SC 45, Eutawville
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 23.899    W 080° 20.473
  33.398317    -80.341217
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Settled in the 1840s on higher ground in the healthy pines of upper St. John´s Parish, the town of Eutawville was founded by Santee River plantation owners as a summer refuge for their families. In 1886 the railroad was established. The town was chartered December 24, 1888, in Berkeley County and annexed to Orangeburg County in 1910.

(Reverse)
Long before the founding of the village of Eutawville, the area immediately to the north and east was an important avenue of trade, using Nelson´s Ferry Road, the Cherokee Path, and the Santee River. At Eutaw Springs, a strategic point guarding the British supply line from Charleston, a major battle of the American Revolution took place.

Erected by the Eutawville Civic League - 1970