Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Charleston Road



Marker ID: DAR 38-9
Location: US 178 near its junction with US 21
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 28.252    W 080° 50.764
  33.47086666    -80.84606666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This was the first public road connecting Orangeburg with Charleston and was authorized by an Act of the General Assembly passed March 16, 1737. It was laid out from Izard´s Cowpen, about ten miles north of Old Dorchester, and spanned two wide swamps. The early settlers of the area constructed the road and provided for maintenance.

Erected by Moultrie Chapter Daughters of/he American Revolution - I970 as a replacement for a marker Erected in 1916