Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Court House Square



Marker ID: SCHM 38-10
Location: on the square at Russell Street, Orangeburg, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.419    W 080° 51.815
  33.49031666    -80.86358333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The third court house for Orangeburg County was erected on this site in 1826. It was designed by Robert Mills, who was state architect at that time. This structure was destroyed by Union forces during their occupation of February 12-13, 1865. The fourth court house was constructed in 1875 and served the county until1928, when it was razed and the site converted into a park.

Erected by The City of Orangeburg - I970