Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pioneer Graveyard



Marker ID: SCHM 38-11
Location: Bull Street, Orangeburg, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.537    W 080° 52.076
  33.49228333    -80.86793333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

From the time of the first settlement of Orangeburg Township in 1735 until the founding of various denominational cemeteries, this plot of ground was the final resting place for the early inhabitants. The first church in the Orangeburg area was erected here about 1750 by the Swiss and German settlers of the Reverend John Giessendanner´s congregation.

Erected by The City of Orangeburg - 1970