Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Town of North



Marker ID: SCHM 38-12
Location: In front of North Town Hall, North
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 36.922    W 081° 6.209
  33.61536666    -81.10348333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In the year 1891, John F. North, . Samson A. Livingston, and George W. Pou gave jointly and equally one hundred acres of land to establish a town and railway depot. The separate tracts joined near this spot. The town was named in honor of John F. North, a Confederate veteran and the oldest of the three men, who was elected first mayor.

Erected by the Citizens of North sponsored by Tricentennial Committee of North - 1970