Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Church of the Redeemer



Marker ID: SCHM 38-15
Location: 606 Russell Street, Orangeburg, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.538    W 080° 51.477
  33.4923    -80.85795
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The first Anglican Church in Orangeburg Township was established about 1750 by John Giessendanner, and a chapel at Orangeburg was later provided by the Act of 1768 that created St. Matthew´s Parish. Following a long dormant period, the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer was organized. The church building was erected in 1854-55 and was moved to its present site, improved and renovated in 1895.

Erected by the Congregation - 1970