Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Holly Hill



Marker ID: SCHM 38-17
Location: State Street. Holly Hill
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 19.352    W 080° 24.811
  33.322533    -80.413517
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This community had come into existence by 1848 near the Camden fork of the Old State Road. It was chartered in 1887 in Berkeley County, following the coming of the railroad in 1886. The town was annexed to Orangeburg County in 1910. The post office was established in 1848. The public school dates from the 1880s, and the oldest church from 1890.

(Reverse)
Near this site grew the grove of holly trees around which the town of Holly Hill was built. The last tree from the original grove was removed in January 1957. Its age was estimated at ninety-eight years by the State Forestry Department. In April, 1970, a replacement for this tree was planted during South Carolina´s Tricentennial celebration.

Erected by Ivy Garden Club and Holly Hill Garden Club - 1972