Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard



Marker ID: SCHM 38-22
Location: on west side of Boulevard St. between Amelia St. and Peasley, Orangeburg
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.854    W 080° 51.357
  33.49756666    -80.85595
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. Catharine C. Palmer donated this land to the congregation where they built a house of worship and consecrated it

(Reverse)
in 1857. The frame building, moved on logs to Russell Street iIi 1895, was later enlarged and brick veneered; it is the oldest church building in Orangeburg. Stiles Mellichamp, rector during the 1860s and 1870s, is buried in the cemetery along with a number of Confederate soldiers and many communicants of Episcopal church of The Redeemer.

Erected by St. Agnes Chapter Episcopal Church Women The Episcopal Church of The Redeemer - 1993