Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Shiloh A.M.E. Church



Marker ID: SCHM 38-28
Location: 2902 Cleveland St., Elloree, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 31.622    W 080° 34.671
  33.52703333    -80.57785
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Shiloh A.M.E. Church


(Marker Front)

This church, founded in 1886, was organized by Revs. D.A. Christie and C. Heyward with Sol Ellerbe and Galas Culay, Walter Montgomery, and Henry Tilley as stewards. Its first services were in a brush arbor, and its first sanctuary was built nearby in 1887. This sanctuary, a frame building later covered in brick veneer was built in 1892.

(Marker Reverse)
Member Robert Lee Williams (1862-1949) was a community leader and progressive farmer. When he died at the age of 87 Elloree businesses closed in his memory and the New York Times called him "generally and sincerely mourned." The church also hosted numerous meetings during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s seeking to desegregate local schools and businesses.



2003 by Williams-Waymer-Carrion-Murray Family Reunion.