Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church



Marker ID: SCHM 38-30
Location: 1198 Glover St., Orangeburg, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.191    W 080° 51.626
  33.48651666    -80.86043333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This church was founded in 1873 with Rev. Dave Christie as its first pastor. In 1877 trustees Emily A. Williams, Richard Howard, and Irwin Mintz purchased a small lot here, on what was then Market Street before Glover Street was laid out. They soon built a frame church, which stood for almost thirty years. Additional acreage purchased in 1909 allowed the congregation to build an addition and parsonage.

(reverse)
This Gothic Revival church was designed by Miller F. Whittaker (1892-1949), a professor at S.C. State Agricultural & Mechanical College (now S.C. State University), one of the first black architects in S.C., and a member of this congregation. The cornerstone was laid in 1919, and the church was completed about 1925. Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

Erected by the Congregation, 2006