Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Trinity Lutheran Church



Marker ID: SCHM 38-32
Location: 390 Hampton St., Elloree, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 31.976    W 080° 34.3
  33.53293333    -80.57166666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Trinity Lutheran Church was founded in 1849 by German-Swiss Lutherans who came to Orangeburg District from Charleston. The first church, a cypress-log building, was built 2 mi. S on the old Moncks Corner Rd., now S.C. Hwy. 6. By 1880 the center of the community shifted, and the Lutherans and Methodists traded churches. The Lutherans moved to a frame church 2 mi. N, establishing their cemetery there.

(Reverse)
Elloree was incorporated in 1886, and the Lutherans built a frame church on this site in 1889. It was struck by lightning and burned in 1913. The present blue granite church, a Late Gothic Revival design by architect J. Carroll Johnson (1882-1967) of the Columbia firm Urquhart & Johnson, was built in 1914 and dedicated on Palm Sunday 1915. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.

Erected by the Congregation, 2009