Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Providence Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 38-35
Location: 4833 Old State Rd., Holly Hill, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 23.525    W 080° 32.457
  33.39208333    -80.54095
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This church grew out of services held in the area by circuit riders as early as 1806. Its first church, a log building, was built on what is now Vance Rd., 1/2 mi. SW. About 1810 Timothy Shuler donated 4 acres here for a frame sanctuary, built soon afterwards. It was renovated in the 1850s and again in the 1890s.

(Reverse)
The present Neo-Classical Revival Church, built in 1919-1920, was designed by Charles Coker Wilson. The cemetery here dates back to 1856 and numbers more than 400 graves, including veterans of most American wars since. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

Erected by the Congregation, 2011