Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Courthouse Square



Marker ID:  
Location: Broughton St (US 21) at Henley St in Orangeburg, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 29.435    W 080° 52.059
  33.49058333    -80.86765
 



Text:

In 1780 the courthouse and jail of Orangeburg district occupied this squre. They were used by the British for a military post. The post was chaptured by Gen Sumter, May 11, 1781; reoccupied by the British in June; abandoned and buildings destroyed in July