Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Orangeburg County



Marker ID:  
Location: on Freedom Blvd (U.S. 21) near East Railroad Ave, Branchville, SC
County: Orangeburg
Coordinates: N 33° 15.081    W 080° 48.935
  33.25135    -80.81558333
 



Text:

Orangeburg County


(Left text)
Parish House
Built in the 1830's it is thought to be the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church activities. Now it serves as a restaurant and gift shop.

Holly Hill Depot
Built in the 1880's, the present depot now serves the community as the Community Center, Tri-County Chamber
of Commerce and Visitor's Center.

Norway High School (Old Willow)
The school built in 1926 was first known as Willow School and later Norway High School. After the school closed the town developed plans to turn it into a multi-use building with a visitor center and auditorium.

(Middle text)
Edisto Memorial Gardens Visitor Center & Chamber of Commerce
The Garden's development began in the 1920's with some
five acres of azaleas and has expanded over the years. Today there are 50 beds of roses and the Gardens feature a 2,600 foot boardwalk, picnic shelters, art center and educational program.

Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum
Located at the site of the oldest railroad junction in the world, this museum celebrates the area's railroad history and features exhibits on life on the railroad.

Elloree Heritage Museum
Located in the Historic District of Elloree the museum depicts the rural life of this section of Orangeburg County. Exhibits focus on the importance of cotton, farming and family life.

Santee Cultural Arts and Visitor Center
Located in a historic school house moved from the town of Parler to the Town Hall Complex, the Center features gallery space for changing exhibits, meeting space, tourism office and visitor amenities.

(Right text)
Old Springfield High School
This renovated 1929 high school served the community as a Visitors' Welcome Center and features exhibits on education and life in the community as well as a 4,000 square foot auditorium.

Valentine's Store
Valentine's was founded in the early 1900s by J.L. Valentine, who ran a diverse farm business that included a cotton gin, fertilizer sales and a general store. The present general store was built in the 1940s and, while a working store, looks more like a museum.


[To see a photo of this marker, visit HMDB.org]

State of South Carolina Heritage Corridor.