Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Stone Church



Marker ID: DAR 39-3
Location: at the intersection of Old Stone Church Road (State Highway 22) and Anderson Highway (U.S. 76), Clemson, SC
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 34° 39.775    W 082° 48.868
  34.662911    -82.814472
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church was built in 1797 for Hopewell (Keowee) Presbyterian congregation by John Rusk on land given by John Miller. Andrew Pickens and Robert Anderson of Revolutionary War fame were elders at its organization. The Reverend Thomas Reese, D.D., eminent Presbyterian clergymen, was the first minister. He died in 1796 and was buried here.

Erected by The Old Stone Church Commission - 1965