Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Keowee



Marker ID: SCHM 39-5
Location: on SC 133, 1.7 mi. N of its junction at Clemson with US 123
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 34° 32.899    W 082° 49.851
  34.548322    -82.830847
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Two and 1/4 miles west is the site of Keowee built by John Ewing Colhoun as his upcountry seat in 1792. His sister, Mrs. Andrew Pickens, lived nearby at Hopewell. His daughter, Floride, married her cousin, John C. Calhoun, and lived at Fort Hill, 2 1/2 miles south. This estate was inherited by his son, John Ewing, who lived here and made lavish improvements.



Notes:

Two sided - John Ewing Colhoun