Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hanover House



Marker ID: SCHM 39-12
Location: in the South Carolina Botanical Garden, intersection of U.S. Hwy. 76 and Pearman Blvd., Clemson University campus, Clemson, SC
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 34° 40.483    W 082° 49.083
  34.67471666    -82.81805
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Hanover House, built 1714-16 in what is now Berkeley County and moved to the Clemson College campus in 1941, is a fine example of Dutch Colonial architecture. It was built for French Huguenot planter Paul de St. Julien (d. 1741). St. Julien´s grandfather Pierre Julien de St. Julien had been granted 3,000 acres on the Cooper River in 1688 by the Lords Proprietors.

(reverse)
When the Public Works Administration (PWA) built the Santee-Cooper Dam, Lake Marion, and Lake Moultrie in 1938-1942 Hanover Plantation was in the area inundated by Lake Moultrie. The house was disassembled, moved to Clemson, and reassembled in 1941, then restored 1954-62. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, the house was moved to the S.C. Botanical Garden in 1994.

Erected by the City of Clemson and Clemson University, 2007