Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hagood-Mauldin House



Marker ID: SCHM 39-15
Location: 104 N. Lewis St., Pickens, SC
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 34° 53.101    W 082° 42.34
  34.88501666    -82.70566666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This house, built ca. 1856, originally sat 14 mi. W in the town of Pickens Court House, then the seat of Pickens District. It was the home of James Earle Hagood (1826-1904), Pickens District clerk of court, state representative during Reconstruction, and U.S. District clerk of court. In 1868, when the district was divided to create Pickens and Oconee Counties, he helped select the site for the "new" town of Pickens.

(Reverse)
Hagood moved this house here in 1868. His daughter Frances (1870-1954) and son-in-law Judge Thomas J. Mauldin (1870-1931) later remodeled the house in the Classical Revival style. Mrs. Mauldin, nationally prominent in several historical organizations, hosted an annual picnic for Confederate veterans. This house has been a museum since 1988 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

Erected by the Pickens County Historical Society, 2010