Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Original Site of Winthrop College



Marker ID: SCHM 40-5
Location: Henderson Street, between Taylor and Blanding Streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.218    W 081° 01.550
  34.003633    -81.025833
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1886, chiefly through the efforts of D. B. Johnson, first superintendent of Columbia public schools, Winthrop Training School, later Winthrop College, was started here in a small brick building, which had been the chapel of Columbia Theological Seminary. In 1936 this building was moved to the campus of Winthrop College, Rock Hill, S. C.