Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Governor's Mansion



Marker ID: SCHM 40-12
Location: Corner of Richland and Lincoln Sts., Columbia
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.537    W 081° 02.561
  34.00895    -81.04268333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Arsenal Academy, converted from a state arsenal, occupied this square from 1842 to 1865, when Union troops burned all the academy buildings except officers´ quarters, erected 1855. Since 1868 this building has been the Governor´s Mansion.