Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Site of Palmetto Iron Works



Marker ID: SCHM 40-13
Location: Governor's Mansion, Richland Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.549    W 081° 02.549
  34.00915    -81.04248333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On the SW corner of this square was located the Palmetto Armory, later called Palmetto Iron Works, originally built for converting flint and steel muskets into percussion guns. Arms and munitions were manufactured here during the Confederate War, 1861-1865.

Erected by the City of Columbia - 1966, replacing marker erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936