Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ladson Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 40-14
Location: 1720 Sumter Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.555    W 081° 2.107
  34.00925    -81.03511666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Congregation originated in the Sabbath School for colored people organized by the First Presbyterian Church 1838, later conducted by the Rev. G. W. Ladson. A chapel for the Negro members of that church was built here 1868 and rebuilt 1896. The title was transferred to Ladson Church trustees in 1895.