Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Site of Columbia Female Academy



Marker ID: SCHM 40-20
Location: Corner of Washington and Marion streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.299    W 081° 01.914
  34.00498333    -81.0319
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Authorized by legislature 1792, the Columbia Female Academy was located here from about 1820 to 1883, when this property was leased to Columbia Public School Commissioners, two of whom still represent the Academy Board. The remodeled academy became the first Columbia High School, in use until 1915.