Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 40-22
Location: Corner of Marion and Lady Sts., Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.248    W 081° 01.860
  34.00413333    -81.031
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

First congregation organized in Columbia (1795). The churchyard, allotted as a public burying ground in 1798, was granted to this church 1813. Here are buried D. E. Dunlap, first pastor; Chancellor H. W. DeSaussure; Jonathan Maxcy, first president of S.C. College; Ann Pamela Cuningham, founder of Mt. Vernon Ladies´ Association; U. S. Senators F. H. Elmore and Wm. F. DeSaussure, and the parents of Woodrow Wilson.