Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Big Apple



Marker ID: SCHM 40-101
Location: Comer of Park and Hampton streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.256    W 081° 02.310
  34.00426666    -81.0385
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Originally built 1907 - 1910 as the House of Peace Synagogue and located 100 yards south, this building was sold in 1936 and shortly thereafter became a black nightclub known as the Big Apple. A dance by this name originated here and soon swept the country, inspiring the song, "The Big Apple," which was recorded by Tommy Dorsey´s orchestra. "The Big Apple" became a best - selling hit in September of 1937.

Erected by The City of Columbia - 1987