Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Shandon



Marker ID: SCHM 40-102
Location: Devine Street, several blocks W of Harden Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.898    W 081° 0.234
  33.9983    -81.0039
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
In 1890 the Columbia Land and Investment Co. purchased farm land in this area for development, laying out streets and sidewalks in 1893. In 1894 the Columbia Electric Street Railway provided streetcars to the vicinity and built a public pavilion and park near Harden Street. By 1900 the area generally bounded by Woodrow, Wheat, Harden, College, and Greene streets, and Millwood Ave., was known as Shandon, for the Rev. Peter J. Shand.

(Reverse)
The town of Shandon, incorporated in 1904, was annexed in 1913 to the city of Columbia. Development of streetcar lines encouraged suburban growth in the Shandon area:
Shandon Annex (1906), South Shandon (1910), and Shandon Terrace (1919). By 1906 Shandon School existed, and by 1914 a business district had been developed on Devine Street. Shandon´s architectural styles date from about 1895 to the present.

Erected by Shandon Neighborhood Council - 1986