Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Early Howard School Site



Marker ID: SCHM 40-112
Location: NW corner of Lincoln and Hampton streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.226    W 081° 2.44
  34.00376666    -81.04066666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On this site stood Howard School, a public school for blacks established after the Civil War. By 1869 there was a two - story frame building large enough for 800 pupils. Partially funded by the Freedmen´s Bureau, the school reportedly was named for Oliver O. Howard, first commissioner, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands. For years the only public school for blacks in Columbia, Howard was moved 5 blocks NW, 1924.

Erected by Howard School Community Club - I990