Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Seibels House



Marker ID: SCHM 40-115
Location: Corner of Pickens and Richland streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.77    W 081° 1.845
  34.01283333    -81.03075
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and probably built during the last decade of the 18th century, is one of the few remaining houses from this era in Columbia. It was purchased prior to 1860 by the Seibels family, pioneers in the insurance field, and remained in the family until 1984 when Seibels descendant George R. P. Walker donated it to Historic Columbia Foundation.

(Reverse)
This house stands on plantation lands of Thomas Taylor, one of Columbia´s founding fathers, who is buried two blocks east of here in the old family cemetery. The date 1796, seen on a hand-hewn basement beam by a local historian about 1935, indicates the house was built shortly after the new city´s founding in 1786. An early separate kitchen built of hand-made brick stands behind the house.

Erected by the Columbia Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina - 1991